Why does saving water matter?
Even though water doesn't appear in short supply in Ireland, using less water actually means you are:
1. Reducing energy use. Cleaning waste water (or 'grey water', as it's called) is an energy-intensive process; so is heating the hot water that comes out of your taps.
2. Reduce Your Water Footprint.
Conserving water minimizes the effects of drought and water shortages. By reducing the amount of water we use and waste, we can better help against future drought years. Even though our need for fresh water sources is always increasing (because of population and industry growth), the supply we have stays constant. This is due to the fact that even though water eventually returns to Earth through
the water cycle, it's not always returned to the same spot, or in the same quantity and quality.
water saving tips
1. Don’t wash small loads of laundry in a full basin of water. Adjust water levels according to how much laundry you are going to wash.
2. Keep a jug of water in the fridge instead of running the cold tap, which can waste 10 litres per day of water.
3. Use a bucket and sponge to wash your car - Using a hose to wash your car uses more water in one hour than the average family uses in a day.
4. Check for leaks: Often faucets and pipes can have leaks and we don't even notice. Even the smallest leak can waste up to 20 gallons of water a day. Leaks waste water 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and can often be repaired with only an inexpensive washer.
5. Water your plants in the early morning or late evening to avoid scorching your plants and unnecessary evaporation.
6. When purchasing dish washers, washing machines, different machines use different amounts of water. The specification will show which device consume the most water. Obviously selecting the machines which use the less water, benefits us all.
why should you drink water?
1. Drinking water helps maintain the balance of body fluids.
2. Water can help control calories.
3. Water helps energize muscles.
4. Water helps keep skin looking good.
5. Water helps maintain normal bowel function.
6. People who drink plenty of water will be able to flush out toxins through urination and sweat.
7. Drinking water can help you strengthen your immune system.
8. Water acts as a natural remedy for headaches.
9. Relieves fatigue and increases energy.
HOW MUCH YOU REDUCE YOUR WATER FOOTPRINT?
- Thirty liters. It is the waste of water if you leave the tap open while you brush your teeth.
- Twenty liters. Other important and simple savings: just do not run water while you shave.
- Twenty liters. Every day, twenty liters less if only we install in the toilets differentiated flow.
- From forty to sixty liters. It is the savings for each dishwasher and washing machine wash at full load.
- One hundred liters. Saving water if you wash your car with a bucket instead of a pump tube.
- Four liters. The daily saving if you wash the vegetables leaving them to soak instead of using running water.
We are interested in your thoughts - click the link below if you want to answer a 1 minute survey